Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Savasana

I can be tough, puff up my chest,
and say, "Your hurtful words bounce off."
I can laugh, tuck that shard of meanness 
deep into my heart, or belly, or shoulder, 
out of sight, far from the light.

But when it's quiet, dark and cold,
and I wrap my arms around myself,
I notice a prickly feeling there,
where the hurt burrowed in.
To light it up brings back the pain.

I can hide it deeper, build a shell
of hardness around it. "I'm fine!"
I shout. I stay in motion. It doesn't hurt.
I'm well protected by my strength.
So proud of that, pat my own back.

And so it goes, a hurt forgotten,
except in that place, where the sharpness waits 
and watches for a tender place to poke.
The only way to clear it is to feel it, 
pull it through, finger its pointed tip.

That hurt. My body remembers.
I shudder in savasana. Tears come.
I can't recall the words, or their source.
It's just the feeling of an ancient ache.
I fall in deeper. Movement stops.

I make a choice. With courage,
I sink inside my own tenderness.
And when the hurt passes, 
the feeling left is stronger than any
puffed chest, clenched fist or rigid jaw.

I let go and feel as though I can float 
through all the ages I've ever been.
My body time travels while I breathe.
And then the chime brings me home.

I am right now. My smile is real.

Cape Kiwanda is a lovely place for serenity, even when it's windy

2 comments:

  1. T'Would think it a wise and beautifully written poem even if you weren't my sister. Thank you for your insightful and sensitive inquiry into this phenomenon that perhaps we all share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your poem. Sometimes our hurt is shuddered out in Savasana or painted out with a paint brush. Either way the expression of our inner self is brought forth. "Knowing oneself is the beginning of all wisdom." Aristotle

    Dana Hulburt

    ReplyDelete